Something that none of us wants to experience is having our heat go out as the temperatures outside cool down. As a homeowner you always want to feel comfortable and safe in your home, one thing that helps us feel this way is our HVAC system. But, there’s always a chance that your HVAC could lose power, especially during a heavy storm. If this happens you may be at risk of losing your heat. A/C Masters wants to provide you with some tips on what you can do in the case that your heat goes out.
The first thing that we recommend is that you remain CALM. Freaking out or getting too stressed about the situation won’t help anything. It’s important to remain calm. One of the first things you should consider is calling your electric company to report an outage. Even if you’re sure that your neighbors have called, multiple calls can help enforce the severity of the situation.
What are some things you can do to avoid this:
- Have a backup generator for your home. This will allow you to power some appliances in your homes like a space heater and your fridge. Providing power to these necessary appliances will keep your family as comfortable as possible.
- You should also have plenty of food, water, and batteries stocked up. Being prepared for these situations can make them less stressful should they occur.
What to do once the power goes out:
- Bundle up! Wrapping yourself in layers of clothing and blankets will make the temperature change much more bearable.
- Open the blinds if the heat goes out during the day. The sun will help warm the house naturally and keep the temperatures from getting too cold.
- Block all of the areas that a draft may get in. Blocking door frames and windows where the cold outside air may get in will help keep those temperatures up.
- Try to have fun and stay occupied. A situation like this can feel really stressful but it’s important to try and stay relaxed. Play board games with your family or cozy up with a good book.
Overall, having the power go out isn’t fun and it’s not something you want to deal with this winter. One way that you can prevent this from occurring is by having your seasonal maintenance done. This will ensure that everything is working properly and will help lower the chances of an incident like this occurring. A/C Masters is here to help you with 24/7 emergency service so give us a call anytime (757) 847-5252!