It’s time to break out the space heater! We are in that in between weather where some of us aren’t quite ready to turn on the heat. Some days are a little warmer than others so all we need is a little extra warmth from a space heater. While these great appliances help keep us nice and cozy, they can be potentially dangerous if not used correctly. Follow these space heater safety tips to warm your home in a safe way.
- Before using your space heater, read the instructions and warning labels to ensure you are using it properly.
- Inspect the heaters plug before use, if there are cracks, frays or any signs of wear and tear, do not use the heater.
- Turn it off when you are leaving a room or going to sleep. Space heaters should not be left unattended.
- Keep pets and children away from space heaters, do not allow them to play near it.
- Never use them to warm bedding, dry clothes, cook food or thaw pipes. Space heaters are meant to provide supplemental heat in your home.
- Keep a three-foot radius of clear space around the heater. They should not be near anything that can burn including paper, clothing and rugs.
- Keep them out of high traffic areas and doorways where they could be a potential tripping hazard.
- Place them on flat, level surfaces but never on top of tables, cabinets or carpets as these can overheat and become a fire hazard.
- Always plug space heaters directly into a wall outlet and never into an extension cord or power strip as these can overheat and become a fire hazard.
- Always unplug and store the space heater when it is not in use.
- Make sure smoke alarms are located on every floor in your home and test them once a month.
As important as it is to stay warm, it is also important to do it safely. Space heaters provide plenty of benefits to your home as long as you use them properly. If you have any questions on space heaters or want to explore whole house heating options, contact A/C Masters at 757-898-2894.